Monday, December 30, 2013

Good Tidings, Cheer and Decaf Coffee

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Holidays, Happy Kwanza!
 I am certain I have equally offended everyone with one simple sentence. When did it happen that spreading good tidings and cheer became rude. When did smiling and greeting your fellow brother or sister become a colossal slap in the face. When I was young I knew that if and when I flipped someone off, I was conveying exactly what I wanted. I knew they would be irritated, angry and insulted. I, however, could never be prepared for the shock brought to me in my adult years. I was prepared this year. I had my tree up early, I had presents purchased, I wrapped the....well no, I married the man who would ultimately wrap the presents, I had planned for Christmas! What I had not planned for was the social media backlash and extraordinarily pissed off woman who informed me I could take my Merry Christmas and put it where the sun doesn't shine. I'm not certain that is possible...I looked around for a second wondering quite frankly who had crapped in her Cornflakes that morning. I also was looking for something that must have offended her. I checked my shirt to see if it said something offensive. Nothing. I didn't get it. I am a Christian,yes, but I am not offended if you wish me a Happy Holidays, or a Happy Hanukkah. Heck, you can even wish me a Happy Hump Day. However, I will certainly wonder about your sanity for choosing to use the word hump in a public greeting. But, to each is own. We may not agree with each other. We may not like what others think, believe, speak, want, don't want, give or take. What we can agree on is there is a lot of unnecessary anger in this world. So as New Year's Eve approaches lets try to choose a New Year's Resolution that is worth abiding. I will not read into what people are saying to me. I will accept a greeting as a greeting. I will accept a middle finger waving from the driver behind me and know that he must be an angry person and it can't possibly mean I'm driving like a lunatic. And most importantly I will accept when I ask my husband if a dress makes me look fat and he replies with "Well, maybe a little."I'm sure this is his way of telling me he has no fashion sense or sense all for that matter.

I will give you a few examples you can work from since I know you are sitting there thinking, "I don't know what she is talking about. I don't read into what people are saying." For instance, when your local sales clerk greets you with a "Can I help you find anything?", you should respond with a "Thanks but I've got it covered. " What you should not respond with is "Back off! I'm not here to shop! I am simply in this department store to look around at these items that are strangely being sold, but I don't want to buy anything!" And when you visit your coffee shop and the guy behind the counter asks if you would like a pastry with your coffee. He isn't asking you to open up your wallet and give him all of your cash. Well lets hope that's not what he's asking you. A simple, "No thank you. But, I would like room in my coffee." will suffice.

Manners, greetings, good tidings and cheer! These are the things I would like to see this year....And if not, then you deserve the decaf coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment