Friday, January 14, 2011

Bye Bye Sugar.

Ok everyone! We should all be well on our way to Healthyville. I'm sorry to say that I have a challenge for all of us that I think may alter our lives for the better. It wont be easy or for the light of heart. It may challenge you beyond what you would expect and for many you may even think it's obsurd. I'm challenging us to kick the sugar 'habit' and for some of us, infact, many of us, addiction. I think I must start by explaining the whys and negatives of what sugar is doing to each and every one of us personally and societally. Sugar on a personal level increases inflammation, causes rapid aging (Women! Deep Set Wrinkles), loss of muscle mass, sagging skin, decreases overall energy, causes moodiness, spikes insulin levels, diabetes, sets us up for many cancers and leads to weight gain and inability to lose weight. Need I say more?

I realize most of you are thinking "Yea, SO!" I can name a million things that I do that cause those kinds of problems and if I worried about everything under the sun I probably wouldn't leave my house. Ok but I'm not asking you to worry about everything under the sun, just sugar for starters. You will immediately see benefits when you stop eating sugar (in the form of refined carbs and sweets) and you will immediately feel better. I for one am on board. Yes, I realize that this will be a very difficult endeavor and I may cheat a time or two but I'm asking us all to build a support and accountability group. Just like if you were addicted to drugs or alcohol you would ask others to help you in the journey to kicking the addiction. Some of you may be thinking, "Seriously? This girl is comparing sugar to drugs?" Yep, I am because strangely enough you have the very same chemical reactions in your body when you eat sugar as you would if you injected heroin.

So today we start. Don't worry about tomorrow or the next day or even five years from now. Today say "I'm going to do my very best to not eat sugar."

PS Lets not get too ridiculous here either. Fruit is not added into this equation so long as it is in it's whole natural form not blended and added to a pastry.

No comments:

Post a Comment