Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Etiquette

Maybe I was sensitive, because hormones were raging through my body or because I had to use the terms excuse me and pardon me more than a few times, due to my ever growing belly. Here is what I observed. NO ONE...pardon me...A LOT of people do not use manners. Maybe it was the way I was raised in no-where-ville Alaska (not really a place), by very strict parents who still believe Mr. and Mrs. are people's first name if you are a child. I certainly think the lower 48, Hawaii and the US Virgin Islands had moms and pops who instilled manners in their children. So where did they go. Walk into a grocery story and stand in the middle of an aisle with your back turned to someone. That person will stand there and wait for an eternity before they use the words "excuse me." No seriously, try it. If you don't believe me on this account try using a merge lane and actually merge. Whether you are the car merging or the car allowing (I use this term loosely) no one is happy.

I did a little investigating using our world wide web to find out why manners are used, where they came from and if we really even need to use them. Maybe we should just allow them to fall into the corded phone and typewriter abyss. Much of today's formal etiquette originated in the French royal court during the 1600- 1700. The nobles drew up a list of proper social behavior and called it an etiquette. This word came from an old French word meaning ticket. I am alarmed at the rules that are considered common sense and what people will actually do when faced with the same situation. For instance, when calling someone on the phone, proper etiquette deems that one should be careful to dial the right number as not to disturb someone unnecessarily. If by chance the person does dial the wrong number they should wait for someone to answer and say, "I'm sorry I dialed the wrong number." When greeted by a patron holding the door for you, one should follow with a "thank you." And I find that if you are faced with the temptation to cut in line at airport security, a pardon me gets you NO WHERE. Whether you have the time or patience, use your manners. Thank you's and excuse me's go a very long way. And in the words of my father, "Tone of voice! Some times it's not always what we say, but in fact how we say it. Tread lightly people. Your words can bring you good fortune or in some instances a lot of trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment