Friday, March 22, 2013

4 Bullets of Nutritional Change

In a world where sitting 8 hours a day is the social norm and it just doesn't seem like there is enough time to exercise. There are ways to make it easier with out going crazy on the hamster wheel. I have been a personal trainer for 13 years and I can't tell you how much I have wanted to go back to school and get my major in Chemistry in order to make the majic pill that will make "fit", fit in a bottle. I've had people cry, scream, fight with me, give up and some manage to win the battle only to come back years later gaining it back. Please don't think this is a blog post bashing those who have failed or lead you to believe there is no hope. My heart aches for those who try, and try hard, and can't seem to win this battle. Why is it so hard to become the fit person they desire to be without allowing it to consume you. Here is what I believe and I assure you that it seems easier said than done. However, I promise you if you make these small changes each day it WILL become easier every day. Lets promise ourselves that no matter how the pants fit or what that white devil in bathroom (the scale) tells us we will make a change toward healthy. Here are a few bullet points of healthy hope for you to start living by.

1. Stay away from the big box store. Ok I know I'm going to get comments that you can't afford to shop at the Trader What's His Name, Not So Old Seasons, or Local Markets...I'm not saying that this is absolutely necessary, but I assure you, that box of 120 granola bars that you think are a screaming deal are translating into HOURS on the treadmill or pounds on your toosh. If you have a box of 120 granola bars you will eat twice as many as if you buy that box of 8. Abundance breeds glutany. Your portion sizes will naturally decrease. Lower portion sizes, means less calories, less time on the treadmill and more time doing and being what you want.

2. Buy fresh fruits and veggies and wash them immediately. Buying fresh fruits and veggies will ensure that you eat them quickly and decrease your sodium intake. Plus, your foods are sprayed with Bisphenal A  if you follow chemicals and the harm they are doing to you, bisphenal A has been deemed by the FDA as harmful to fetuses, infants, and young children. Canada has declared it a toxic chemical. NO BEUNO. So each week, hang on to your britches, buy a new fresh veggie. Something crazy fun. Try a beet, just dont wear your favorite whites while you do. Those buggers are high in antioxidants, and are a natural antifungal. Plus you can tell your kiddoes that there is a pretty good possibility it will turn their pee PINK! What fun!

3. Buy organic. Please don't stop reading. I know I'm a Portlandite but I assure you that organics are not just a cultural crazy, there is backing to this. If your pocket book can't handle all organics here's what you should start with. Do buy anything that is high in fats: cheese, peanut butter, milk, meats and butter. These foods carry with them chemicals and hormones that actually change the cells of your body and because they are high in fats they remain in your body much longer than their lower fat, food cousins.

4. For the next 30 days do not buy anything in a BOX or a LOUD BAG. Nothing. You will quickly find that most of your high calorie, high fat foods are found in box and loud bag form. Ok, now that you are all thinking. Loud bag? What the heck does that mean. I'll give you an example. I sneek into my kitchen under the cloak of dark. I open the pantry, leaving the door open in which to muffle the noise, I reach in for the bag of Oreos. I do not say a word. I simply pull back that nice new flap that reveals how many cookies are really left. Out of no where I hear my four year old three rooms over, "Mom are you in the OREOS?" Busted. If you four year old can hear it....don't buy it.

My newest challenge to you! Make these 4 bullets your goals to live buy. Please remember that these are goals. Goals are meant to be reached over time. Don't get frazzeled if you find yourself reaching for the 2 pound brick of cheese because it has that shiney red sale sign on it. Like my momma says, "Quality, not Quantity." Good luck and keep me posted! Life is worth the change!

No comments:

Post a Comment