Thursday, March 28, 2013

Short and Sweet

Aspartame or NutraSweet as we call it was the greatest invention since the wheel. Or is it? All of our favorite sweet drinks, yogurts, cereal bars, salad dressings, candy bars, ice creams, bubble gums, jams and jellies are filled with this gem. The real kicker is, it has no calories, none, zip zilch. In a nation where calories somehow became likened to death we will steer clear of those puppies at all cost. Seriously at all cost. For some reason drinking a soda that tastes sweet, but has been linked to cancer, birth defects, diabetes, psychological disorders, HINDERS WEIGHT LOSS, causes vision problems and is linked to brain damage and seizures is viewed as our miracle to smaller waist lines. For the love of everything that is holy. When did we become a nation where all of those side effects became worth a few sweet treats and the hope of rock hard abs. So, in the event you were looking for a post to high five you for swallowing down those calorie free treats you haven't found it here.

Sweets : Baking and sweets icon set isolated on white Stock PhotoNow, I'm not saying that you can't find a few photos of me in college days downing a few bottles of Diet Coke. I'm sure they are out there, but there came a day when I had to start thinking on my own. I sat down and had a heart to heart with myself. Is being skinny worth all of these terrible things? I resolved that if it wasn't "real" food I was no longer going to eat it. If I want a cookie I was going to eat a real, sugar filled yummy goodness. If I ate too many then I would reap the consequences. Here's the thing. Calories have this magical way of telling you when you continue to eat too many. They deposit themselves in your least favorite spots: your bum, right under your arms, that one inch band around your upper thigh, oh yea and your belly. Now lets judge our counterpart: aspartame. You have no idea what damage it is doing to your body. You don't see it eating away your cells a little at a time. You don't attribute your never shrinking belly to it because you assume that no calories means no fat. Here's the problem. The more you trigger your sugar, gotta have it hormone, the more you will want it. You will usually reach for bread products because you know that "sugar" is bad. So you grab another diet soda and an extra dinner roll and hunker down assuming you are doing yourself a favor. Put down the roll and SHOVE away the diet soda. You give me one month, replace your diet products with water and continue to work out and I believe you will be shocked at how you feel and how you look.

No comments:

Post a Comment