Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Pale is the new Tan

Let there be light! And plenty of it, if we are referring to the light that is reflecting off of my legs at mid day. I'm fairly certain you can see these puppies from orbit. Why, may you ask, can my legs be picked up on space radar? It's not because I think the early 1800's are making a comeback or because I am a shut in. No, I get my fair share of sun rays. I, however, get them from the safety of my SPF 70. Don't jest, I'm not. You may have heard pale skin is back in fashion. I assure you, from the comments I receive on a moment by moment basis, this is not the case. I will admit to receiving my fare share of ridicule for reflecting the sun back at people, and possibly making a few cars hit the ditch while I am out running. I for one, am certain it's my blinding good looks and not my pale legs that causes these cars to go astray. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Often I can be heard reminding young and old to apply sunscreen. Mainly. because the tanner you look the more pale I look. However, the dreaded evil, skin cancer is an awefully great reason to go sans creosote and head back to the way nature intended and for some of us that is as pale as a baby's behind.

Skin cancer is the most common form on cancer in the US. There are more than 3.5 million cases diagnosed annually. I know my momma always told me I was one in a million and that's ok with me so long as I'm not one in 3.5 million.

And I DO NOT want to hear tan fat looks better than pale fat. Seriously! If the day comes when you are willing to deal with this Collage of melanomato get thisAn excessively tanned woman from New Jersey is facing child endangerment charges after she allegedly took her 5-year-old daughter to a tanning booth, and allowed the little girl to get a tanwell have at it. However, if you would like to heed my advice then you should know....

All sunscreens are not created equal. Please just take my word for this. Fairly good word of advice is: if it's easy to apply it's probably not good for you. You know those spray on sunscreens you all grew up inhaling as your parents sprayed you down so thoroughly you glistened in the sun. Yep, those are no good. Find a sunBLOCK with zinc oxide. Now, I must caution you. You will most certainly turn a nice matte white color as zinc oxide does not absorb into your skin. However, I assure you, the nice matte white finish is must better looking than basal cell carcinoma. Happy Summer time! Enjoy from your wide brimmed hats!

No comments:

Post a Comment