Monday, June 3, 2013

Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies...Granola Bars....Granola

For the love of everything that is holy. I used to be the authority on all things baked. I could make a batch of cookies with my eyes closed that could trump even the Keebler Elves. I prided myself in two things baking cookies and everything else. So while journeying down the road of gluten free and fresh fruits and veggies I hit a serious road block. How on Earth am I going to bake these small disks of goodness. And so begins my journey...

Soft Oatmeal Cookies RecipeI turned to the world wide web. Google please direct me to a gluten free, no egg oatmeal cookie recipe using only honey. BAM! 1,142 articles, give or take a few. I was gitty with excitement. I was about to embark on a baking adventure. Surely one of these recipes would be close if not at good as my "before-healthy-me" days. Was I sorely mistaken. Egg replacer, check. Home ground oatmeal flour, check. Honey from only the North West, check. 88% cacao (man that stuff is bad), check. I began, blending, grinding, beating, chopping and stirring. I was certain I had at least burned off one of the cookies I would eventually eat.

Into the oven the cookie dough went and out came...GRANOLA! Where the heck did I go wrong? They went in looking exactly like cookie dough. I know, I think we have determined I am an expert. A non paid expert, but an expert none the less. I have spent entirely too long trying to figure out where exactly I went wrong. And when I say I have spent too long. I mean I have made no less than half a dozen gluten free oatmeal cookie recipes. In the oven they go cookies, out they come granola. Every time. I'm serious, if this health kick doesn't work out I'm going into magic.

So here I sit with my bowl of granola and almond milk wondering where I went wrong but realizing this is the best tasting granola I have ever had.

2 comments:

  1. Being an awesome granola maker is a good thing. You can pride yourself on that ... and everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you using Zanthan Gum? If it is egg less, are you using ground flax seed mixed with hot water? Being gluten free for the better part of 3 years, I have learned a thing or two.(=

    ReplyDelete