Tuesday, April 30, 2013

GO O!

Is buying organic worth all of the hype? Living in Portland, Oregon brings with it all of the fun that can be found on the ever laughed at, Portlandia. Our way of life has become quite the nationwide joke. Although our cultural norms have become a bit extreme, and I'm not entirely certain I have been recycling properly for the last ten years. I have found that buying organic is anything, but ridiculous.

Growing up in Alaska we had very few fresh fruits and veggies. We lived on carb veggies such as potatoes, corn (actually a grain) and more corn. I can honorably say my parents fed us organic, but it didn't have that bright green sticker on it. We grew our veggies (yes, things can grow in Alaska) and we were fine with that. Fast forward 15 years. I find myself standing in the produce isle wondering if the extra $1.29 per pound is really worth it. Can I get away with simply scrubbing my fruits and veggies and hoping any "bad" is washed down the drain? How bad can genetically modified be? The answer is undoubtedly no and it's bad.

I often hear people saying, "I didn't eat organic growing up so I'm not spending an arm and a leg for it now." Let me assure you, just because something has always been done one way doesn't make it right. We cannot and should not take our foods, spray them with poison, fertilize, genetically modify and radiate them and expect them to be medicine to our bodies. Food and air determine your quality of health. Most people can understand that inhaling smoke leads to an unhealthy life and eventually death. However, we have a harder time understanding the same is true of our food. If we consume pesticides (poison) then we wreak havoc on our insides.

SpinachWhich will you choose? If some...uh most of your are rolling your eyes at me and thinking, "There is no way I'm paying that kind of money for FOOD!" I have listed the dirty dozen (spend the extra pennies...dollars for organic) and the not so dirty dozen(save your pennies) so you can pick and choose.  
 
12 Most Contaminated
    Grapes
  • Peaches
  • Apples
  • Sweet Bell Peppers
  • Celery
  • Nectarines
  • Strawberries
  • Cherries
  • Pears
  • Grapes (Imported)
  • Spinach
  • Lettuce
  • Potatoes
12 Least Contaminated
  • Onions
  • Avocado
  • Sweet Corn (Frozen)
  • Pineapples
  • Mango
  • Asparagus
  • Sweet Peas (Frozen)
  • Kiwi Fruit
  • Bananas
  • Cabbage
  • Broccoli
  • Papaya
http://www.organic.org/education  (I'm fairly certain the woman pictured is from Portland OREGON)

No comments:

Post a Comment