Sunday, April 21, 2013

Lets talk about....

Let's talk about texts baby, let's talk about you and me. Let's talk about all the good things and the bad things they can bring. Let's talk about TEXTS! Ok, now that I have destroyed a risky and much loved...uh liked, ok known, Salt N Pepper song, this is an important subject. Texting, and in particular, texting while driving is such an important subject in reference to health. I cannot think of another innocent action that can so quickly and disastrously destroy ones health. To be quite honest I am enamored at how many people I see texting and driving. I will be rolling down the street, look to my right and see a car that I'm fairly certain has just been involved in a monster truck rally and shockingly the driver, a young teenage girl/guy has her/his phone in both hands texting. I have watched, heard, and read the destruction this small act of distraction can bring. A mother's story of their child's last meaningless in subject text. The view's of "i'll see you soon" texts only to find the driver would never be able see them again.


Texting While Driving"It Can Wait" is a movement started by AT&T urging drivers to put their phones away while driving and focus on the road. I spend many an hour driving my kids too and from school, sporting
events, and play dates. I have heard the ding of an incoming text and have had the urge to just check to see if it's important. My daughter has been informed, "If mom reaches for her phone for any reason, you are to swiftly remind her, Safety First." This is a term introduced to my children at a very young age from a very wise women...no, not me but I can see why you would think so.

Texting While Driving AccidentsWhen driving on the freeway at 60 miles per hour, it takes approx 4-6 seconds to respond to a text. In this time, your car will have traveled the length of a football field! I can imagine there are a lot of important things to be aware of in that distance. I'm not sure about you, but I'm fairly certain, unless you are reading a text that says YOU ARE DRIVING OVER THE LINE!!! it's is not worth your time and distraction while driving.

If you find yourself with sweaty palms, a quickening heart rate and a feel of loss when you hear that all too familiar ding and can't check to see what message lays waiting for you, put your phone in your trunk or glove box on silent. Unless you are the President of the United States and are awaiting word from the Pentagon, the message can and surely should WAIT!

Texting While Driving Simulator
http://view.atdmt.com/action/cntabs_HomepageSimulatorPromoClick_1

Car and Drivers Research Results on Texting While Driving
http://www.cnbc.com/id/31545004/site/14081545

No comments:

Post a Comment