Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Fresh Cut Grass

I have embarked on a new and wonderful journey, first stop Veggieville, second stop Protein Hill. What more does one need? I'll tell you, taste. In hopes of fixing what ales me I am adhering to a strict, no frills, no thrills, no cheating, no fun diet. I have spent the better part of the last 48 hours blending any and every (organic) veggie together with soy milk and hemp protein powder. I know what you are thinking...CRAP she's been watching too much Portlandia! I have never seen an episode, but yes I am beginning to feel like 'that-person.' We will keep this short and sweet. In order to heal my gut (stomach and intestinal tract) I am cutting ALL grains, sugar and dairy from my diet. Hopefully at the end of this six week journey I will be able to get rid of the twice daily extra strength antacid that at the ripe ol' age of 32 I find myself taking. I will become my very own experiment.

Day 1: Feeling fully energized. Not a care in the world. Not even slightly tempted by grains or sugar. I can still have my cup of coffee in the morning so who the heck cares about grains and sugar.

Day 2: Woke early, ready to meet the day. I'm fairly certain at 4:30am no one should have a skip in their step, but I did. Kale, spinach, green, apple, banana, soy hemp protein smoothie blended and ready to eat at 7:00am. By 9:30 with a Step class taught and feeling quite revitalized....NO, that was not the case. The hemp.....protein drink was quickly expanding in my stomach. 17 grams of fiber sloshing around for an hour is NEVER a good idea. By 12pm the lack of sugar head aches had kicked in. I'm fairly certain little men wear River dancing in my skull. This is going to be a very long 6 weeks. Note to self: ease up on that Hemp protein powder, and 6 cups of spinach kale and greens may a bit much to start with. Feel free to try out my smoothie.

Fresh Cut Grass
2 cups of Spinach
2 cups of Kale
Photo: Fresh cut lawn2 Cups of Field Greens (less pungent in flavor than spinach)
1/2 Cucumber
10 baby carrots
1/2 Cup frozen blueberries
4 frozen strawberries
1 cup soy, almond or coconut milk
1-2 servings protein powder
1 cup of ice

Makes 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 CUPS! Each 3 cup serving is 286 calories and 12 grams of fiber. You can freeze half and have as an afternoon snack. (I don't recommend this if you haven't had a lot of veggies in the last few weeks-and never drink prior to a hard workout!)

2 comments:

  1. Why the cucumber? Does it add taste or nutrition? Theresa Akines

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes the smoothie taste a bit more "fresh" and less like dirt spinach. You can squeeze some lemon in to add to the spring time taste.

    ReplyDelete